Become part of one of Toronto’s most dynamic artist collectives!
We welcome your interest in our Gallery
Propeller Art Gallery accepts artists for membership in all stages of their careers. We have a well-rounded co-operative composed of artists working in a wide range of media and techniques. Membership offers the possibility of exhibiting your work on a regular basis, interacting with other artists and participating in all aspects of the operation of the gallery and collective. You can apply at any time. We will complete our review within 4-6 weeks and let you know the outcome.
As a Propeller Member you will:
- Exert full curatorial control over your own exhibitions
- Be able to network with artists through our opening receptions and other events
- Have the opportunity to participate in Member Group Shows
- Having access to a Propeller Guide (experienced member). The Guide will be your contact as a new member.
- Access resources from Propeller Members such as: guidance in preparing for an exhibition, exhibition funding and sourcing other opportunities for a show. We network with other artists to organize open calls or group shows
- Learn the operations of the Gallery, and contribute to its success
- Gain curatorial experience and skills in mounting an exhibition
- Enjoy a positive social environment with people who share your passion for art. We are a community; many of our Members share lasting friendships.
Benefits of Membership:
- Online Sales site, free on the Propeller Website
- Your work in the Artist Directory on the Propeller Website – for sales and review by collectors, curators and the public
- 20% commission on artwork sold at the gallery for members versus 30% for non-members
- 20% discounted Member rate for open call group exhibition submissions
- Promotional support for exhibitions on the Propeller Art Gallery website and social media networks, and listings in Slate Magazine, Artscape Newsletter, Canadian Art, Instant Coffee and others
- ZOOM opening with artist talk registered through eventbrite, and a video walk-through of the in-gallery exhibit
- Upon joining Propeller, announcement and promotion of you as a new member through our web site, social media, and newsletter
- Partnership shopping discounts
2023 Full Membership:
$147 /Month plus HST
Full Membership covers the cost of a North or South Gallery rental every 18 months for three weeks. This can be either a solo exhibition or a show that you coordinate with one or more artists that you invite. You assume the full responsibility of the exhibition.
Full Members have a 4-6 week priority over other members in selecting exhibition dates when the schedule opens for a new 18 month period. The Programming Committee will try to accommodate all schedule requests. A Full Member may have their exhibition before completing 18 months of membership which is the period required to pay for the gallery rental. However, the member must then complete their remaining months of membership or pay for the balance of the gallery rental.
2023 Associate Membership:
$42 /Month plus HST
Associate Membership provides an opportunity for those who do not necessarily wish to show regularly but who want to participate in the many activities of the Propeller collective. It can be a time to get to know the gallery and its operation and learn the rudiments of mounting an exhibition.
- Associate Members are expected to book a North or South gallery for 3 weeks within their first 2 years of membership. An Associate Member can have a solo show or invite other artists to share the space and costs but will be responsible for the exhibition.
- When an Associate Member books a 3-week exhibition in the North or South Gallery, they are responsible for the gallery rental (total costs of rental is $2646 + HST). Up to 18 months of previously paid associate member fees (18 x 42 = $756 + HST) will be deducted from the cost of the 3-week rental.
- Associate Members will have access to the schedule 3-4 weeks after Full Members.
- Associate Members can change to the Full membership fees option at any time. If they have already paid fees for 18 months since their last exhibition, they will receive a partial credit towards their next Exhibition. Associate membership fees are otherwise non-refundable.
Becoming a member involves making a commitment to participate consistently. It is member contributions in ideas, time, and expertise that make the Propeller Art Gallery collective function and stay vital. All artists benefit from an actively engaged membership.
Members are required to contribute a minimum of 4 hrs per month on average. At times, there is a need for members to contribute more than the required 4 hrs: for example, when participating in organizing a group exhibition, contributing to special initiatives or getting involved with Propeller’s annual fundraising event. There is always something to do!
Propeller’s annual fundraiser supports many initiatives and gallery activities throughout the year and we strongly encourage all members to participate through donations of one or two artworks. Tickets are available for purchase by donors and non-donors such as friends and family. It is an exciting event that we hold annually in December and we hope that you will join in the festivities.
There are volunteer opportunities in activities such as:
- Working on one of several Committees ( marketing & communications, membership, partnerships, programming & scheduling, finance, fundraising)
- Virtual exhibition assistance: video and text editing, image formatting, layout and uploading
- Organizing, coordinating and participating in group shows (in addition to your own show)
- Join in the hanging of a show or helping with intake
- Contributing an element of your own expertise to the operation of the gallery such as financial management, social media or IT skills
- Monitoring the gallery when needed
- Contributing to the maintenance and upkeep of the gallery
At the time of your Acceptance as a Member you will be required to make arrangements to:
- Submit signed contracts and appropriate fees (payment method is by direct monthly debit from your bank)
- Provide the materials and information for your artwork to be uploaded to the Propeller website
Please include the following 4 items in your application:
1. Letter of Intent (copy/paste) including:
- Your agreement to join for at least one year (Associate member) or 18 months (Full member)
- A statement outlining how you expect or hope to benefit from becoming a member and/or how membership at Propeller might further your artistic career
- A description of the specific tasks that you are willing and available to commit your time, skills and experience to benefit the Propeller Art Gallery collective
2. Artist Statement about your submitted work (copy/paste)
3. Resume/CV/Bio in PDF or DocX (Microsoft Office Word) including:
- Art-related activities such as art training, courses and/or workshops, group and solo exhibitions, participation in art fairs, volunteering with arts or other cultural organizations and teaching
- Other abilities, expertise and experience that are related to or could be beneficial to the running of a gallery and the governance of a non-profit arts organization (such as the volunteer activities detailed above)
4. Ten (10) high quality images of your work
- All submitted images should represent a recent and cohesive body of work as if you were going to hang all of the pieces together in an exhibition – not a retrospective of what you have done over the years
- Image resolution of 1000 pixels minimum
- Include Title, Medium, Year, H x W in inches, and Price.
Please contact Propeller Art Gallery if you have any difficulties or questions about the application form.
Membership application review considerations:
- The quality of the work and the level of professionalism
- A demonstrated commitment to the visual arts
- Willingness to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours a month
Propeller membership acceptance is subject to approval by our Selection Committee and Board of Directors.
Items marked with * are required fields.